September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Erectile dysfunction, do I need to see a doctor?

Erectile dysfunction, do I need to see a doctor?

Patient: Hi im a 44 yo white male smoker pack a day recently in last few days having some erection problems I was with a girl last friday so 4 days ago and we messed around and i had an erection and she felt it through my pants but we did not engage in any oral or sexual contact. 2days ago on sunday night we where going to have sex and i lost my erection just as i entered her. very embarrassing for both of us Ive been able to masterbate three times since then and did wake up with an erection today but it seems like no sexual desire compared to normal which is master bating at least once a day with a firm long lasting erection. I did notice the feeling is not the same when i ejaculate from mater bating is not as pleasant as normal. not a burning but does seem like some tingleling or numbness in penis or loss of sensitivity down past the underside of my testicles . something does seem wrong and it seems like it came on suddenly and not sure if this is normal or not.. ive been drinking lots of water and some cranberry juice and cut down on coffee to two cups a day i dont drink more than 1 beer a week at best I was recently on meds for upper respitory track infection proair and symbicort inhalers for asthma. havent used meds for asthma in over 5 years . also was on mucinex and an antibiotic and prednisone and monolukolast one othe rone cant remember. Im a worried dont know if i should be never had anything like this happen. do i need to see a doctor asap or give it a few days or is it all nerves.



Doctor: Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common type of male sexual dysfunction. It is when a man has trouble getting or keeping a n erection. Erectile dysfunction (impotence) occurs when a man can no longer get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. ED becomes more common as you get older. But it’s not a natural part of aging. Having erection trouble from time to time isn’t necessarily a cause for concern. But if erectile dysfunction is an ongoing problem, it may cause stress, cause relationship problems or affect your self-confidence. Some people have trouble speaking with their doctors about sex. But if you have ED, you should tell your doctor.Your doctor can offer several new treatments for ED. For many men, the answer is as simple as taking a pill. Getting more exercise, losing weight, or stopping smoking may also help. ED can be a sign of health problems. It may mean your blood vessels are clogged. It may mean you have nerve damage from diabetes. If you don’t see your doctor, these problems will go untreated. Even though it may seem awkward to talk with your doctor about erectile dysfunction, go in for an evaluation. Problems getting or keeping an erection can be a sign of a health condition that needs treatment, such as heart disease or poorly controlled diabetes. Treating an underlying problem may be enough to reverse your erectile dysfunction.If treating an underlying condition doesn’t help your erectile dysfunction, medications or other direct treatments may work. The tingling may be sign of infection.




Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment