Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Erectile Dysfunction in Younger Men

Erectile Dysfunction in Younger Men

Patient: Can a doctor help me with not getting it up or tell me whats wrong or presribe me something im 17 and me and my girlfriend were trying to have sex and like i couldnt get it up this has happend to me 4 or 5 times and its destroying our relationship

Doctor: Erection problems may cause significant emotional disturbance. Erection is a complex combination of psychologic, neurolo gic, hemodynamic, mechanical and hormonal components. Psychologic erectile dysfunction may start suddenly, varies with partner and circumstance, more common in younger men and may have presence of morning erection. Depression and anxiety problems may also manifest as erectile problems. Neurologic (brain and spinal cord) causes may also manifest with erectile problems but usually occurs together with problems in urination and defecation. Conditions that clog the blood vessels (diabetes, high blood cholesterol levels) may result to this problem as well. Hormonal problems (thyroid hormones and low testosterone) may result to low libido (sexual desire) and erection problems too. I would suggest you see a doctor or urologist. Urologists are experts on erectile dysfunction. It is likely your problem is psychologic because you’re still very young; however, the root cause of your problem should be diagnosed first before any intervention is started. I do hope I have answered your question. I wish you well always.