Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Erectile Dysfunction Not related to Hernia Repair

Erectile Dysfunction Not related to Hernia Repair

Patient: I am 55 years old, a non smoker and slightly overweight. Recently I had an operation for an inguinal hernia. It was open type surgery and repaired with a mesh. I now find that it is difficult for me to maintain an erection during sex and also very hard for me to orgasm when I am hard. I was never informed of any complications for the surgery and I have psychological issues that bother me slightly as well. I am tempted to think that the problem is physical more than mental so would welcome your advice.

Doctor: Erectile dysfunction is not a recognized complication of hernia repair surgery. I am inclined to think that your problem s with sustaining an erection are related to something else. Common causes of erectile dysfunction include diabetes (high blood glucose), hypertension (high blood pressure), psychological issues, some medications and prostate surgery. Though this is a very sensitive topic you should speak to your doctor so he may examine you and determine the cause of your problem.