Erectile problems and premature ejaculations.

Q: Hello, im an 18 year old college student & embarrassingly enough I've come to the conclusion that i may have erectile malfunction. Ive noticed that my erections aren't as strong, or "hard" anymore specially the glans. During sexual intercourse i often find myself ejaculating very fast, mostly upon insertion of the penis maybe a few dozen strokes and after my ejaculation i also notice that i can't "get it up" anymore. like i did when i was 14 or 15. If i do manage to get it up it is usually not near as erect as the first and i struggle to keep it that way. Im just wondering what could be wrong because im still very young for this to happen to me because i hear friends that can ejaculate up to 3 or 4 times in one session, and as a kid i used to masturbate a lot and would be able to do the same but now i am troubled with these embarrassing complications that i just stated. please help, thank you.

Symptoms:  Ejaculating extremely fast, weak erections, one ejaculation and done

A:   Men do not have multiple orgasms and ejaculations within a short spell of time. Please confirm with your doctor if you really seem to have premature ejaculation. Premature ejaculation occurs when a man ejaculates sooner during sexual intercourse than he or his partner would like. Premature ejaculation is a common sexual complaint. Estimates vary, but as many as 1 out of 3 men say they experience this problem at some time. As long as it happens infrequently, it's not cause for concern.

However, you may meet the diagnostic criteria for premature ejaculation if you:

Always or nearly always ejaculate within one minute of penetration
Are unable to delay ejaculation during intercourse all or nearly all of the time
Feel distressed and frustrated, and tend to avoid sexual intimacy as a result

Practice and relaxation should help you deal with the problem. Some men try to distract themselves by thinking nonsexual thoughts (such as naming baseball players and records) to avoid getting excited too fast.

There are several helpful techniques you can try.

The "stop and start" method:

This technique involves sexually stimulating the man until he feels like he is about to reach orgasm. Stop the stimulation for about 30 seconds and then start it again. Repeat this pattern until the man wants to ejaculate. The last time, continue stimulation until the man reaches orgasm.

The "squeeze" method:

This technique involves sexually stimulating the man until he recognizes that he is about to ejaculate. At that point, the man or his partner gently squeezes the end of the penis (where the glans meets the shaft) for several seconds. Stop sexual stimulation for about 30 seconds, and then start it again. The person or couple may repeat this pattern until the man wants to ejaculate. The last time, continue stimulation until the man reaches orgasm.
Antidepressants such as Prozac and other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are often prescribed. A side effect of such medicines is that it increases the time it takes to reach ejaculation.

You can apply a local anesthetic cream to the penis to reduce stimulation. Decreased feeling in the penis may delay ejaculation. Condom use may also have this effect for some men.

If these distraction techniques and antidepressants do not help you keep an erection, other medications used for erectile dysfunction may help. Evaluation by a sex therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist may help some couples. Both psychological and biological factors can play a role in premature ejaculation. Although many men feel embarrassed to talk about it, premature ejaculation is a common and treatable condition. Medications, counseling and sexual techniques that delay ejaculation — or a combination of these — can help improve sex for you and your partner.