Erection problems following first sexual experience

Patient

Q: I am a 22 year old male, and I was wondering if you could help me with a problem with my erections. A few days ago, I had my first sexual experience, and while I was aroused, my erection was not completely hard, resulting in an inability to penetrate my partner's vagina. Furthermore, any stimulation with the hand or mouth did not arouse me enough, and i could not reach orgasm. Two days later (yesterday), I was with my partner once again, and while I was initially hard, it didn't stay very hard for long, meaning that I was able now and again to penetrate her, but was not stimulated enough to stay fully erect and reach orgasm. Today, While I have not ejaculated in about four days, I cannot get aroused at all, no matter how much I try to stimulate my genitalia, whereas before , I would be easily aroused, and reach orgasm quickly.

The fact that my lack of arousal has only appeared since starting to have sex with my partner, leads me to believe that the problem is psychological, but I do not feel any emotions that I would immediately associate to the problem. I do use pornography (usually once a week), but my sudden lack of any arousal whatsoever makes me think that the problem is more complex. I have no health concerns as far as I know.

Any information about what could be causing this, and any suggestions about what I should try to do to alleviate it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Symptoms:  Inability to have a fully erect penis,
Inability to maintain an erection,
(As of today) Inability to get aroused at anything that would have easily aroused me a week ago.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You are likely experiencing performance anxiety. Often when individuals start having sex for the first time, there are a lot of emotions to be processed by this new experience. It will take you some time to over come this and we recommend you discuss the way you are feeling with your partner. This will help reduce your anxiety, and increase your level of communication and intimacy with her. Your problem will likely go away with time, and we reassure you that you are likely not having any medical problem.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com