Estrogen-based birth control with history of migraines

Patient

Q: I am a woman in my mid-20s looking for some answers about estrogen-based birth control and migraines. When I was a teenager, I had occasional migraines with aura, though they stopped in my late teens and I haven't had one for about ten years. Several years ago, I mentioned my migraine history to an NP, who promptly took me off the combo estrogen/progesterone birth control I'd been on for several years, citing the risk of blood clots. However, the progesterone-only BC caused cystic acne. It only went away when I changed BC - a more sympathetic NP prescribed me Yaz, which was great. I had no acne and no issues with my periods on Yaz.

However, recently the issue came up again with a new doctor, who refused to prescribe me any estrogen-based BC because of my history of migraines, and advised me to go back to progesterone-only birth control. I am very upset about this, as I am positive this will again cause cystic acne. This doctor actually suggested putting me permanently on antibiotics to try to prevent that, but I think that's even worse! My question is, if I have not had migraine except during puberty, am I still putting myself at risk by going on an estrogen-based BC like Yaz? Are there any other estrogen-free options that will prevent acne, regulate my periods, AND serve as a contraceptive?

Symptoms:  Symptoms: acne, migraines (ten years ago)
Doctor