Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Evaluation for paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria

Evaluation for paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria

Patient: What does PNH viability of 71% mean on a test of peripheral blood?

Symptoms: Anemia

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I think that you have taken a test which shows that 71% of the red blood cells survive w hen they are put under stress. This is one possibility of the meaning but I cannot be completely sure of this. To help us confirm this, do send us the report that you have.When we see the report and the test name, we can help you much better.Do send us the reports that you have. We are here to help you.

Patient: Thank you. However, I don’t think your response is the correct interpretation. Thank you, but I don’t think your interpretation is the correct one. Please see the attachment and review.

Doctor: Thank you for the follow up.
The stain that was used for the test was the 7AAD stain. This will stain non-viable or dead leukocytes or white blood cells. When these are stained, we know what percentage of them are non-viable and what percentage are viable.
The test that was done was of Flow Cytometry where a dead or non-viable leukocytes can affect the results in hematopoietic disorders. The other markers are used to test for detecting PNH. This will show up when the CD55 and the CD59 are positive.
Testing for the 7AAD acts like a control.
Previously, different methods of getting to the diagnosis were used.
Hope this helps you.