Every time I take a deep breath I have a

Patient

Q: Every time I take a deep breath I have a sharp pain in my upper right abdominal area (internally), just started about 40 minutes ago but the deeper the breath, the sharper the pain.. What do I do?

Doctor

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We understand your concern.

Right-sided abdominal pain is mostly due to acid reflux or gall bladder issues like stones in gall bladder called as Cholelithiasis.
If the pain is radiating to back so we need to keep gall bladder issues and pancreatic issues on the top of the list. If you consume alcohol then the possibility of pancreatitis is high, however it's not that pancreatitis is caused by alcohol only, gall bladder stones if causing obstruction can also cause pancreatitis.
So, for evaluation of Gall bladder issues you should get an Ultrasound Abdomen which will rule out any Cholelithiasis or Pancreatitis. If your Ultrasound is normal, you would require treatment for Acid reflux. In acid reflux disease a combination of Omeprazole and Domperidone helps greatly.
You should take soft, bland diet as spicy food aggravates acidity. In case of acute pain you can take anti-flatulent syrup like Digene or Gelusil.
Share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy