x
64 Physicians Online

Question:

Everytime I Eat I Get Severe Pain In Abdomen and Bloating

Everytime i eat something i get severe pain in abdomen and a bloated feeling and gas and it gets worse everytime. tried different gas pills but they dont help

Answer:

I understand your concern about the continuous pain and flatulence that you feel after eating regularly. Normally, excessive gas is caused by swallowed air and normal breakdown of certain undigested foods by harmless bacteria naturally present in the colon.
Eating or drinking rapidly, chewing gum, smoking could cause air to go inside our stomach in more quantity than usual causing the problem. Sometimes the body does not digest and absorb some carbohydrates the sugar, starches, and fiber found in many foods in the small intestine because of a shortage or absence of certain enzymes that aid digestion, then they pass to the colon where the normal bacteria found there  produce gas.
This gas distends your gastrointestinal tract causing pain, bloating and other symptoms. I recommend you to start with decreasing the amounts of carbohydrates, lactose containing products, starches. If you feel gassy, you could add warm fluids to the medication that you are taking to help eliminate them. If you continue with this problem, it would be recommended to consult your physician for detailed study to rule out other causes such as an enzyme deficiency. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Comments

Guest Says: I don't get gas or swelling it just pain everytime I eat or drink and now my tummy hurts when I walk . This really has not help me out learning about whats going on

Sign In to join in the conversation.