Excess mucus and slight wheezing

Q: I am a 19 year old male and recently have started having problems with wheezing. The wheezing only occurs on strong inhalation or exhalation e.g strong, deep breaths. Rarely it will occur on a normal extended breath but it doesn't occur on normal breathing. I'm not quite sure where this noise is coming from, whether it be my throat or my lungs. I was ill the previous week and once I started to recover, the wheezing started. I don't have any symptoms of the flu now but a constant amount of mucus is being produced from my nose which refuses to be blown out and goes down my throat. Coughing seems to stop the wheezing as it clears out the some of the mucus from my throat but it is replaced by more.

A:   The wheezing is due to accumulation of phlegm in your lungs. Over the counter cough medication with expectorants like robitussin, mucinex and guaifenasin will help relieve your symptoms.