Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Excess mucus in 3 month old.

Excess mucus in 3 month old.

Patient: My baby is 3 months and has a lot of mucus in his nose and throat, ive tried saline drops and a humidifier and nothing helps, what should i do

Doctor: Newborns at that age commonly suffer from viral upper respiratory infections that might increase the production of mucus . If this is the case, let me reassure you that this condition will end on its own and there is no need for special medication.However I would suggest you to increase his fluid intake to replenish the losses and watch for signs of fever and dehydration. A visit to the pediatrician to comply with his vaccinations is also recommended. I wish him a prompt recovery.