September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Excessive defecation

Excessive defecation

Patient: I find that I have to defecate 4, 5, and sometimes 6 times every day, and when I get the urge I have to go straight away. I had bladder cancer which spread to my prostate and I had both these organs removed June 2013.

Symptoms: Just the urge to go.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have sustained some nerve damage from your previous prostate an d bladder surgery. This could have lead you to lose control of your bowels leading to incontinence. Furthermore, if you underwent radiation or chemotherapy, these could also contribute to your frequent bowel movements.There may be some medical treatments to assist in controlling the frequency at which you have bowel movements, and you can make some diet modifications to decrease the amount of time you go to the washroom however a complete cure for this may be difficult due to the possible nerve damage. It would be best to consult your doctor or urologist regarding this to start a diagnostic investigation for your incontinence.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com