Excessive saliva with cold/flu

Q: Hi,

For a couple of years now every time I have a common cold I suffer from excessive salivation for the first few days. I have to spit out a large quantity of saliva every 60 seconds or so. It prevents me from sleeping and going out as I constantly need a "spit bucket" next to me. It luckily only lasts for the first few days of the cold but is still extremely frustrating and is the single symptom that makes me dread having a cold.

I saw my GP about it last year who was clueless but have made some research online and it seems it is an uncommon side effect of the common cold and I am not the only one affected!

I would love to understand what causes the salivation specifically and how I can suppress the symptoms as I just got another cold now and am suffering again from this problem...

Symptoms:  Excessive saliva