Excessive Sleepiness

Patient: I am a 17 year old girl, and i am excessively tired, i can’t stay away. Even if I go to bed early around 8, ill sleep till maybe 3 by 5 i’m already tired again. This is causing problems in my relationship, as well as my school work. I can’t help when i fall asleep it just happens. Is this normal?

Symptoms: Excessively Sleepy

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you are suffering from a hormone disorder called hypothyroidism. This i s where the thyroid gland produces too little thyroid hormone leading to your symptoms of excessive fatigue. Thyroid hormone plays an important role in metabolism within your body and as a result, when this is excessively low, you can experience symptoms of fatigue. Please see your doctor to be examined and conduct a thyroid function blood test in order to determine if hypothyroidism is causing your excessive sleepiness.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com