Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)

Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)

Patient: HI, I do suffer from excessive sweating where in I sweat a lot even if I do have some physical stress over my body also at times when I am concious. Is this Hazardous? or is something wrong in me? a auryvedic consultant said that my sweat glands are very active. is that the case?

Doctor: Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) is the secretion of sweat in amounts greater than is physiologically needed for norma l temperature regulation. For a correct diagnosis to be made, there must be focal, visible, excessive sweating of at least six months duration without a precipitating cause plus at least two of the following characteristics: bilateral and relatively symmetric, impairment of daily activities, at least one episode per week, onset before age 25, family history of idiopathic hyperhidrosis, focal sweating stops during sleep. If you fulfill the criteria for diagnosis there are several treatment options available. These include topical treatments, usually with aluminium salt preparations, systemic treatments with anticholinergic agents, localized injection of substances such as botulinum toxin or the administration of ionized substances through intact skin by the application of direct current, or surgery to remove excess sweat glands. I would advise attending your family doctor for a correct diagnosis and subsequent management.