Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Excessive thirst, urinating, and weight loss in 10 year old girl.

Excessive thirst, urinating, and weight loss in 10 year old girl.

Patient: My 10 year old has had excessive thirst, and urinating around the clock, even at night. I just weighed her this morning and she’s lost about 10 pounds…she was 98, now 85lbs. And this morning she threw up. We have noticed the excessive thirst for the last month. I’m making her appointment to see the Doctor today as soon as they open. But I’m worried and want to know what this could be.

Symptoms: Excessive thirst, urinating, and weight loss.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. These symptoms you are describing could be due to developing juvenile diabetes mellitus or diabetes insipidus. Diabetes mellitus (type 1) is caused when the beta cells of the pancreas stop producing insulin, and thereby rendering the cells of the body helpless in regulating blood sugar levels. This initially presents with excessive thirst (polydipsia), and excessive urine (polyuria). The weight loss could also be related to the loss of fluid from urination. Another possible cause could be diabetes insipidus. This disease is characterized by the frequent production of very dilute (clear colored) urine along with excessive thirst. This has do with the dysfunction the the body’s ability to regulate fluid excretion. Since your child has lost a considerable amount of weight in a short period of time it is important that you promptly take them to see their doctor. In the meantime to prevent dehydration, please give your child water to drink in moderate but regular amounts. Your child will require to undergo a physical examination along with testing to determine the exact cause of these symptoms. Please take your child to the doctor on an empty stomach, to facilitate the prompt execution of the appropriate blood and urine tests to assist in arriving at a diagnosis.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com