Excessive uric acid detected in blood test.

Patient

Q: How can you inform me how can possibly reduce( lessen)turic acid as it has gone up a little bit lately?

Doctor

A:   Hyperuricemia is the medical term for elevated uric acid levels in the blood. Increased uric acid levels predisposes to gout which affects the joints and is characterised by crystal formation in the joint fluid along with high levels of uric acid in the blood. There are plenty of ways in which uric acid levels can be decreased. Nonetheless, a diet attempting to lower uric acid levels is a safe initial treatment plan and the symptoms can be reassessed if there is no improvement.Foods high in purine that should be avoided include: Beef, Pork, Bacon, Lamb, Seafood  and Alcoholic beverages. Foods with moderate amounts of purine that can be eaten in moderation include: Asparagus, Cauliflower, Mushrooms, Peas, Spinach, Whole-grain breads and cereals, White poultry meats, such as chicken, duck and turkey, Kidney and Lima beans Most other food are considered negligible sources of purine and can be eaten as part of a balanced diet. There are medications that help lower uric acid levels but before beginning them, one should ask their doctor if the elevated uric acid levels could be a sign of another disease that requires a different treatment.urine content which is ultimately converted into uric acid.