Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Excruciating Strep Throat

Excruciating Strep Throat

Patient: So I’ve been diagnosed with strep throat 11 days ago. I went back and forth to hospitals. I had a antibiotic shot, along with two steroid shots. It’s been almost two weeks and I’m still it so much pain. My nose is so stuffed that I can’t blow it anymore. Almost nothing comes out. And when mucous does come out its brown and green. I can’t breathe or sleep. And it’s getting very stressful. It’s my first time having strep, so I don’t know how it works. I try to drink lots of clear warm liquids. Soup. Gargle salt water. Nothing. I tried so many pain pills. It’s still excruciating. I don’t know what to do. My doctors can’t really help me. What can I do to make it go away faster?? Please help.

Excruciating Strep Throat-1 Excruciating Strep Throat-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Streptococcal pharyngitis can indeed be very painful and usually takes about two weeks to b e effectively treated with antibiotics. Since it has been 11 days that you have been suffering with this it is possible that you may need to be prescribed a medication to soothe your sore throat. You may also need to be prescribed a stronger course of antibiotics to clear this infection. Please return to your doctor for further evaluation.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com