Excruciating Strep Throat

Patient

Q: So I've been diagnosed with strep throat 11 days ago. I went back and forth to hospitals. I had a antibiotic shot, along with two steroid shots. It's been almost two weeks and I'm still it so much pain. My nose is so stuffed that I can't blow it anymore. Almost nothing comes out. And when mucous does come out its brown and green. I can't breathe or sleep. And it's getting very stressful. It's my first time having strep, so I don't know how it works. I try to drink lots of clear warm liquids. Soup. Gargle salt water. Nothing. I tried so many pain pills. It's still excruciating. I don't know what to do. My doctors can't really help me. What can I do to make it go away faster?? Please help.

Excruciating Strep Throat-1 Excruciating Strep Throat-2
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Streptococcal pharyngitis can indeed be very painful and usually takes about two weeks to be effectively treated with antibiotics. Since it has been 11 days that you have been suffering with this it is possible that you may need to be prescribed a medication to soothe your sore throat. You may also need to be prescribed a stronger course of antibiotics to clear this infection. Please return to your doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com