Exercise Induced Asthma *HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING*

Patient

Q: Hi, I am a sophomore in high school, and I am on the girls basketball team. I am 6'0" and about 150 lbs. I noticed about a year ago I was having difficulty breathing during exercise, and after going to a local pediatrician, it was concluded that I had exercise induced asthma. Fast forward to today, and I have been through two inhalers and numerous "exercise induced asthma" pills, such as singular, and my symptoms have not changed. What the doctors prescribed had no effect whatsoever. Before you say I am un-fit, I was on the cross country/track team year round, which amounts to about 4 miles a day of running, 5 days a week. I have never had to go to the ER for symptoms, because they go away after a good pause in my work-outs, but I want to know if you may have any other ideas. I noticed my symptoms are better in cold environments (air conditioned gyms). Thank You
~Makena

Symptoms:  Chest tightness, wheezing, shortness of breath (only happens during exercise and goes away after a few minutes of rest)
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Exercise induced asthma is very common in athletes, and is by no means a condition which will prevent you from continuing your healthy active lifestyle. Exercise induced asthma is best managed, if you follow the standard protocol of treatment for asthma. That is by using a short acting bronchodialator inhaler like albuterol daily, and a special prescription inhaler containing cromyln sodium prior to exercise. Once you exercise induced asthma is well managed, you are likely to experience less episodes of exercise induced asthma. Furthermore, determining what types of whether and what concomitant allergies you may have will also be important preventing asthma attacks when you are engaging in sport.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com