Exercise Induced Symptoms

Q: I am 23 years old. Within 10 minutes of exercising I start wheezing and coughing. I feel like I am choking on phlegm. My heart rate stays around 210, which is 109% of my maximum heart rate. Within 20 minutes, My skin turns white and I get red blotches everywhere. Within 30 minutes, I get dizzy and my ears hurt extremely bad. Sometimes my ears to the point it takes me to my knees. After I'm done exercising it takes 2 hours for me to stabilize and the rest of the day to stop intermittently coughing. Sometimes I will be slightly itchy during or after. - No hives. Inhaler helps some with the cough. SP02 does not drop. I am exercising indoors where it is warm. Low altitude. Playing basketball is worse than running the track.
What is going on? What can be done about it?

Symptoms:  Cold skin, red/white blotchy skin, sharp severe ear pain, dizziness, coughing/wheezing, large amounts of phlegm

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that these episodes could be due to a respiratory condition known as Asthma. Asthma is a chronic inflammatory condition of the airways of the lungs. When one has an asthma 'attack', the airways become restricted and difficulty breathing ensues. Your asthma attacks appear to be exercised induced, and we recommend that you refrain from exercise until you are evaluated by your doctor. You will need to be evaluated by a lung specialist who will perform lung function testing in order to determine the severity of your asthma. After this is done, you may be prescribed inhalers to use at the onset of your symptoms. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com