Exercise routine after spinal surgery four years ago

Patient

Q: Hello, I have titanium rods in my nlower back along with a L5-S1 fusion. I still have pain on a daily basis. I am tired of taking pill after pill with no relief. I have also gained about 60lbs since my back injury 4 years ago. I want to start exercising. What exercises are safe yet effective for weight loss can I do. Thank You

Doctor

A:    First of all, you should get a consultation with a nutritionist/dietitian that put you in a healthy and customized regime to lose the excess of weight, along with the exercises. In the view that you have multiple health problems you must be very careful choosing and combining an adequate exercise routine. I suggest emphasizing light cardiovascular and respiratory exercises. A light cardiovascular conditioning can be achieved walking at your own pace 20 minutes three times a week. For the respiratory exercises I suggest that you see a respiratory therapist that can teach you a routine that you can easily follow. You will benefit of a physical therapy program that teach you stretching/ strengthening exercises  for your abs and spine muscles even they may help you to control pain if you have any  with   modalities like TENS, ultrasound, moist heat.