Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Exercises after total hip replacement

Exercises after total hip replacement

Patient: Hi, I am a 46 years old and had a total hip replacement 6 months ago. I feel great. My question is what type of exercises can I safely do? I walk 1 1/2 miles every day, use the stationary bike for about 15 mins daily, and leg exercises I was given during physical therapy. I found that I have lost a lot of mussel tone in my legs and was wondering what I can safely do? My doctor told me not to bend more than 90* which means I am limited and not to lift my leg more than it will allow me to go. Any suggestions or do I keep doing what I am doing. Thank you for your assistance.

Doctor: Your exercise routine sounds quite adequate. The muscle mass in your leg will take some time (at least 6 months) to retu rn to normal but you are well on your way. The muscle mass decreased because of lack of use. Now that you are fully mobile again it will gradually return to normal.