Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Exercising After Hernia Repair in January 2012

Exercising After Hernia Repair in January 2012

Patient: I’m a 56 year old male who has worked out with weights since my teens,had an open incisional hernia repaired, resulting from a colonectomy, Jan 5, 2012, the adominal muscles were tacked together and two sheets of mesh were applied. My question is when and what weight and adominal exercises can I do and which ones should I avoid?

Doctor: Usually, strenuous exercise and activities must be restricted for 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, then the exercise routine e may be resumed but with progressive demands in order to avoid complications. It is recommended avoid lifting heavy weights for 3 to 4 months, you may practice aerobic exercises, always remember: progressively. Although the skin wound heals within a week or two the inside tissues take longer to heal and this process can go on for 6 months or more.