Exercising with swollen ankle

Patient : Can i exercise with a swollen ankle due to injury to the shin from exercising
Symptoms:  Swollen ankle with bruising and some pain to touch due to injury to the shin
Doctor :   Than you for your question. We do not advise this. Even though the initial injury was to the shin, you could possibly ha ve sustained an injury to the ankle as well. This can range from a simple sprain, to torn ligaments or even a fracture. We strongly recommend that you seek medical evaluation of your ankle along with diagnostic imaging to determine the severity of your injury. Do not exercise or perform strenuous physical activity until you are evaluated by your doctor. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Related Q&A

Q: Hello, Last March I sustained a hand injury. A line under high tention (a rope) snapped and hit the back of my ri...

Q: Hi, I am a 44 year old female. I have been exercising regularly for at least 15 years, including running 2-3 days a w...

Q: I broken my ribs 5 years ago (dec 2012). 4 ribs is not ok. Can they still be operated?

Q: I've been having some chronic neck pain so I went to the chiropractor she took x-rays and when she looked at the x-ra...

Q: Hello, I had fallen down a flight of stairs. Later when I went to pass a stool. I notice blood in my stool. I beli...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon