Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Experiencing Discomfort after Intra Uterine Device Insertion

Experiencing Discomfort after Intra Uterine Device Insertion

Patient: I have a coil fitted and recently i have been experiencing discomfort. it seems as though the strings are low down and from time to time they prickle me i also have been suffering from period like symptoms all month long. is there something wrong with the coil?

Doctor: In a small percentage of women, the muscular contractions of the uterus push the coil out of place or expel it from the uterus. This is usually seen within the first few months of insertion of the coil. If the coil has been dislodged, you may be able to feel the lower end of the device, or you may experience persistent pain or abnormal bleeding, or you or your partner may feel pain or discomfort during intercourse. I would suggest that you follow up with your gynaecologist to see whether the coil is placed where its meant to be. I hope this helps, take care.