Experiencing foul smelling body odor.

Patient

Q: I am, what you would consider to be, over weight and since Aug I have noticed an change in the way my sweat smells like. I is not in my armpits but between my gut and my vagina. I have almost a "garlicy" odor that I just cannot get rid of and I have never had it before. Also at the same time that started, I was have problems with my stool. I no longer have solid stool and my urine is like a "lemony" color. What is wrong with me?

Doctor

A:   The condition is known as bromidrosis and is caused due to the bacteria in the sweat. The condition usually differs for individual to individual, though obesity, certain deodorants, soaps and eating certain types of food might trigger the foul smell. Our sweat contains proprionic acid which is broken down by the bacteria in the skin resulting in the "garlicky" smell you are experiencing.
I would advise you to keep a diet diary in which you may note all the food that aggravate the smell, also washing with mild soap may help.