Expired prednisone. Five months past expiration date

Patient

Q: My son is asthmatic and although he's been using his inhaler, he can't shake his cough. I'm taking him to doctor tomorrow. In the meantime, I wanted to get him going on prednisone as he has done in the past. It expired five months ago. Is it safe to give?

Symptoms:  Coughing. Had a fever last week. Can't shake the cough.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. No, we do not recommend that you use any expired medication to treat your child's symptoms. This medication could have lost its efficacy past its expiry date or even can cause further irritation of his lungs.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com