Explain the mechanism presence of fever and tachycardia in UTI

Patient

Q: Dr., can you explain why fever and tachycardia present in UTI patient? what are their mechanism?

Symptoms:  39 degree celsius body tempt, chills, rigor, tachycardia
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. When one contracts a urinary tract infection, the body elicits an immune response as a means to clear this infection. When this occurs, the process of inflammation occurs. This is mediated by specific inflammatory molecules that result assist the body in clearing this infection. These inflammatory molecules can cause the body to experience pain and fever. Furthermore, when toxic components of the bacteria causing the UTI get into the body's circulation, these inflammatory mediators can cause an increase in heart rate. This mechanism is employed to pump oxygen enriched blood, filled with immunoglobulins (cells that fight infection) to all areas of the body to seek and destroy the bacteria causing the UTI. This is why it is so important to assist the immune system in fighting a UTI by taking prescription antibiotics and drinking copious amounts of water. This will help mitigate the infection in a timely manner to avoid the unpleasant experience of fever and tachycardia. We hope this has helped you.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com