Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Exposer to German Measles

Exposer to German Measles

Patient: I am over 4 months pregnant. My two children possibly have German Measles, fifth disease. If I show symptoms of either, what is my unborn’s risk, should I be concerned, what should I do if I become infected?

Doctor: There is definitely reason for you to be concerned. German Measles in someone pregnant can cause congenital rubella synd rome, with potentially devastating consequences for the developing fetus. Children who are infected with rubella before birth are at risk for growth retardation; mental retardation; malformations of the heart and eyes; deafness; and liver, spleen, and bone marrow problems. I would definitely stay away from your other two children immediately and go see your doctor asap.