Extended Period Bleeding on Nuvaring

Patient : I'm 22 years old, female, and I'm on my 3rd-4th month of using the Nuvaring. Though the first month seemed to go smoothly (I had a very light period), the second month I started experiencing some pretty uncomfortable breast-tenderness and spotting throughout the month--then a full-blown period. I attempted to use the Nuvaring to skip my period, using them back to back, but I just bled anyways. This happened again, even though I was told that leaving the Nuvaring would help me skip my period. Now, on about my fourth month of the ring, I no longer experience breast-soreness, but I'm experiencing a never-ending period--or at least, the longest one I've ever had. I started bleeding about the 26th of October, and I'm still going strong now, the 6th of November. This has never happened to me before, and I'm starting to get concerned. Though the bleeding is kind of minimal, it's still enough for me to wear a tampon everyday and seriously complicate my sex life (which I'm on the Nuvaring to make more simple and stress-free.) There is also some very low-feeling abdominal sensations--I wouldn't call them full cramps, but there is definitely an unpleasant sensation there. It's becoming very frustrating, and making me a bit concerned for my health. If I wasn't on birth control, I would've gone into the doctor already, but since I am--I'm attributing this to a change in hormones. What I need to know is: at what point should I be concerned with the length of my period? Should I be concerned already? Am I having a negative reaction to the Nuvaring, and should I look for other methods of birth control--or is this a somewhat-normal side-effect? Also, could the bleeding be a sign of something more serious that I need to get checked out? Thank you for reading all this, I really hope to hear from someone.
Symptoms:  Menstrual bleeding for an extended period of time, low abdominal cramps