x
62 Physicians Online

Question:

Extraintestinal Amebiasis and upper back pain?

Chronic upper back pain in the right side improved with metronidazole can be extra intestinal amebiasis

Answer:

An infection by the parasite, Entamoeba histolytica, can cause inflammation of the intestine. A person with extraintestinal amebiasis has infection by this parasite in tissues outside the intestines. The liver is the most common location for the infection. Transmission occurs by ingesting cysts in contaminated food or water, or by person-to-person contact. Symptoms of liver infection from extraintestinal amebiasis include right upper abdominal pain, fever, chills, jaundice, and loss of appetite, fatigue, sweating, and weight loss. Symptoms of lung and chest infection from extraintestinal amebiasis include productive cough, chest pain, chest congestion, and difficulty breathing. If your pain was part of the symptoms for liver or lung, meaning radiated from those organs affected by the amebiasis, maybe that would be a possibility to consider.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.