Extreme Lethargy in the Mornings

Patient

Q: I am having trouble waking up in the morning. Sometimes it becomes a burden with my job duties. I fall asleep just fine, but I feel so tired in the morning. Alarm clocks don't wake me up, and when they do I am extremely tired and sluggish, and most time I cant keep my eyes open. I'm a very active person and this is becoming a problem with my professional and physical duties. This same problem has been happening to my wife as well.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The fatigue that you are experiencing in the morning could be due an condition in which your thyroid is not producing enough thyroid hormone. This is referred to as hypothyroidism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism include fatigue, cold intolerance, hair loss, and depression. In order to be certain of this, you will have to have a blood to measure the level of thyroid hormone being produced by your thyroid gland. If you are suffering from hypothyroidism you may need to be placed on medication to increase your thyroid hormone levels to alleviate your symptoms.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com