Extreme low back pain.

Patient: Extreme acute sciatica and Disc Herniation. Sent home for four months rest, has gotten worse, can not walk I sometimes need to crawl. I am sometimes falling over and unable to stand I have no G.P it has just past the four months rest mark and the compressed nerve pain has increased, i feel like I will never get better,walk again. My depression is coming back , would this be a surgical fix at this point? Should I go in to the Emergency Ward to sought assistance, four months constant pain is really taking its toll on my mental. Thank you

Symptoms: Shooting pains down leg, throbbing in lower back,pain behind knee, numb feet and big toe.

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from any of the following:1. Muscular back pain2. Prol apsed Intervertebral Disc Compression.I would advise you to get following:1. X-ray Cervical spine2. X-ray LS spine3. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels4. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor.For muscular pain i advise following:1. A combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocolchicoside.2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.If the compression is found you would be treated with a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin.But if the compression is very severe, causing motor weakness, tingling on any side of the body then surgical intervention would be required.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.