Extreme pain in back, spreading to chest during breathing

Patient

Q: A mother of my friend experienced severe back pain in the morning around 6 a.m. to the point that she suffers a great pain even when trying to turn her body when she sleeps. Around 9 hours later, the pain has not disappeared yet and worsened, causing chest pain during breathing. Is this a normal ailment or a symptom to a disease?

Doctor

A:   Thanks for consulting us. As per the presentation mentioned here, there are wide range of possibilities from simple muscle catch to serious cardiovascular conditions. If it is musculo skeletal problem, there will be local tenderness and pain will worse on movement. Cardiovascular disease mostly associated with risk factors like smoking, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, hyperlipidemia etc. It could be due to conditions like Myocardial infarction, Aortic dissection, Pleurisy etc. You can try pain killers initially and if pain is persistent or worsening, consult physician as it require evaluation.