Eye Allergy (on eye lids)

Patient

Q: I have been dealing with an eye allergy for almost a month now. My eye lids are extremelly puffy and I cannot get this to go away. I have tried benedryl, clariton and allegra. I have also tried icing my eyes, using eye drops and was even prescribed steroids to apply to my eye lids. I went out and bought a allergy pillow...re washed everything in my house but nothing is helping. I will go to bed with my eyes looking a lot better but then when I wake up, they are worse again. It's a never ending cycle. Any advice would be amazing. (I have a dr. apt again this friday in which she is going to inject steriods into my eye lids.)

Doctor

A:   You have symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis which is caused by an allergic reaction of the outer layer (conjunctiva) of the eye when it comes in contact pollen, grass, weeds and smoke. Symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis include itching, redness, burning, tearing and swelling of the eyelids.Superficial conjunctival scrapings may help to establish the diagnosis of seasonal of perennial allergic conjunctivitis. Treatment includes avoiding the offending agent. Allergic conjunctivitis may be treated with a variety of drugs including topical antihistamines, nonsteroidal ant-inflammatory drugs, mast cell stabilizers and corticosteroids. You will need to consult with your ophthalmologist for the best suitable treatment in your case. I hope the information helps. I wish you well.