Eye Makeup Allergic Reaction

Q: I tried a new eye makeup remover. I woke up the next day and my eyes were swollen and very puffy. It has been 48 hours, the swelling has reduced, yet my eyes are still puffy. I have tried an antihistime. Is there any way to reduce my swelling?

A:   The eyelid and the surrounding area are particularly vulnerable to allergic reactions because the skin is extremely thin and loose, allowing chemicals to penetrate more easily. This may cause the skin to swell more readily than on other parts of the face. The mainstay of allergy treatment is with anti-histamines and anti-inflammatories, usually in the form of steroid. The first step should be discontinued use of the cosmetic lotion. Regular anti-histamines together with a cold compress may help to reduce the swelling, which should resolve over time. You may also need to use hypo-allergic cosmetics in the future. If symptoms are not improving, you should attend your family doctor for possible prescription of a steroid ointment.