Failed to get rhogam shot after miscarriage

Patient

Q: I had a miscarriage several years back and was advised to get a rhogam shot after the procedure as a precaution. I had no idea what the shot was for and due to financial reasons I never got it. They never even specified if I needed it they just said it would be wise to do just in case. What exactly is the shot needed for and what issues would not getting it cause me? And also since it was several years ago would it be pointless to get the shot now? Thanks!

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Hi,
Rhogam contains anti D immunoglobulins.
It is recommended to pregnant women with Rh negative blood group.
If Rh negative woman carries Rh positive baby, sometimes accidental maternofetal blood mixing can occur.
That may lead to development of antibodies against Rh positive cells in mother.
These can affect Rh positive babies in future pregnancies.
Because of that Rhogam injection is advised after miscarriage or delivery of Rh positive baby in Rh negative women.
If you are not planning for pregnancy now or in future, no need to take the injection.
Take care.