Fainting Feeling After Standing

Q: Hello, sometimes when i stand up after lieing or sitting i get this fainting feeling and lose my balance just wondering if this is a serious problem and what it might be.

Symptoms:  When it happens my vision goes blurry and i cant focus on things, there is a buzzing in my ears and i lose my balance and once blacked out.

A:   Thank you for your question.
What you have described is consistent with a condition known as orthostatic hypotension. This is a sudden decrease in blood pressure when moving from a sitting to standing position. This sudden blood pressure drop can cause dizziness and in severe cases of fainting. There are several causes of orthostatic hypotension, such as decreased cardiovascular output by the heart due to a malfunctioning heart valve. We recommend that you consult a thorough evaluation by your doctor who will measure you blood pressure while sitting and standing to see if there are dramatic decreases. Furthermore, you will need to undergo cardiovascular evaluation to rule out heart dysfunction which could be causing your symptoms. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com