Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Falling During Pregnancy

Falling During Pregnancy

Patient: Im 20 weeks pregnant and I tripped while going up the stairs; what do I do? And an hour later I almost fell in the shower as well.

Doctor: Well firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy.  This is a very common symptom in pregnancy.  Mostly it is caused by di dizziness which leads to tripping and falling over.  The main cause of dizziness in pregnancy is due to the rising hormones that cause your blood vessels to relax and widen. This helps increase the blood flow to your baby, but it slows the return of the blood in the veins to you. This causes your blood pressure to be lower than usual, which can reduce the blood flow to your brain, temporarily causing dizziness. Dizziness is also caused by low blood sugar levels that may occur as your body adapts to changes in your metabolism. Women who are anemic or who have varicose veins may be more susceptible to dizziness than others.  There are few things you can do to reduce the dizziness.  Avoid standing for long periods of time- make sure you sit down and keep your feet moving to increase circulation in the body.  It is important when you are standing up from sitting down to do it slowly.  Make sure you eat regularly.  Also fresh air and loose clothing also helps the circulation in the body.  Also for yourself you might want to avoid lying on your back once you reach second trimester because your uterus put pressure on the blood vessels causing dizziness.  I hope this information helps you and good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.