Fallopian tube

Patient

Q: I was told that submucosal fibroid can block the Fallopian tube. I had mine removed would this automatically unblock the tube?

Symptoms:  Blocked fallopian tube
Doctor

A:   Mechanical pressure exerted by the fibroid on the fallopian tube show get relieved once the fibroid is removed. However sometimes the fibrosis (scarring) that occurs as part of the healing process of the tissues can occasionally lead to the tubes remaining blocked. The best way to find out is do tubal patency tests. Tubal patency can be tested by a hysterosalphingogram (HSG), sono salpingography (SSG) or a laparoscopy.
A HSG is done by injecting a radio-opaque dye into your uterus and taking X-rays of your pelvis to see if the dye is spilling out of the tubes to know if the tubes are blocked or not. The same thing done under ultrasound with saline infusion is called a SSG. Laparoscopy is a more invasive test which involves an operation done to see the tubes through a telescope like device introduced through your belly button under anaesthesia.
Discuss your concerns with your doctor or fertility specialist and decide on the diagnostic method that suits you best.