x
177 Physicians Online

Question:

False Positive drug test for cocaine

Are ther any medications that would effect the outcome of a drug test. I have never taken any illegal drugs and i take many random drug tests for work and my last tese was positive for cocain and i am wondering if any of the many medications i take can effect the test.thankyou

Answer:

If done correctly, drug testing for cocaine is pretty accurate. Most drug tests that check for cocaine look for benzoylecgonine, a product of the body's metabolism of the drug. That said, some medications and medical conditions can sometimes trigger a false positive for cocaine. These include:

Amoxicillin
Topical anesthetics derived from cocaine (does not include lidocaine or novocaine)
Liver disease
Kidney disease
Diabetes

I would suggest that you speak to your doctor if you are suffering from any of the above mentioned issues.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Guest Says: If you know you haven't done anything, if you have never come up positive before, I would make a big fuss about it and demand a new test right then and there, it is very unlikely you come up falsely positive twice.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA