Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > False positive pregnancy tests

False positive pregnancy tests

Patient: My period is 7 days late and I just got a positive result from a pregnancy test. I read that some of my medications can cause a false positive. How long after taking hydroxizine can you be sure a test is correct. I have not taken it since yesterday.

Symptoms: Missed period, positive test, no other symptoms

Doctor: Hello,thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comThe medicine used by you has no effect on the beta hcg levels and the anti-hcg antibodies on the kit. So as after 7 days of missed period , which is the right time to test for pregnancy , if the test is positive then it is likely that you are pregnant. However you may repeat the test again after 2 days with the early morning urine sample to be doubly sure.I hope i have answered your query.wishing you safe pregnancy,regards