Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > False Positive Pregnancy Tests?

False Positive Pregnancy Tests?

Patient: I took an at home pregnancy test which was negative after the 10 minute mark, but later that day there was two lines. I am aware of the concept of the evaporation line, but this was pink not grey. I slept for 9-10 hours and did another one in the morning and it was negative. Can I safely say the first was a false positive.

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Though the second test was negative since there was a pink line on the first test, we sho uld not take any chances of ruling out a pregnancy in a better way. Suggest that you get a beta hCG blood test done which is more specific and reliable and will give you the right picture.Hope this helped.Regards,