Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Fasting and effects on Kidneys

Fasting and effects on Kidneys

Patient: I plan to partake in a water fast, as part of a political protest. I understand one of the side-effects will be weight loss, as well as fatigue. Will fasting be difficult on my kidneys? I’m reasonably healthy (non smoker, no prescribed medications) and exercise regularly. I’ve done shorter fasts for religious purposes of up to 10 days, but this is a planned fast of 30 days. I always take chewable vitamins, drink water throughout the day and get plenty of rest when fasting.

Doctor: As long as you keep yourself hydrated your kidneys should not be affected.In fact it may even help in some amount of det oxification. However please make sure to have more than 8-10 glasses of water a day atleast. A fast of 30 days can have drastic effect on all your body systems includign severe fatigue, dizziness , and weight loss.