Fat pad impingement in the knee / Hoffa's syndrome

Patient : I have been having this sharp pain in my knee and on visiting my doctor i was advised to see a physiotherapist who diagnosed me as having a fat pad impingement in my left knee. He assured me i would be fine in a while if i stick to the exercises he recommended me to do but I am seeing no improvement and the pain is unchanged. The pain has been there for about 6-7 months now so my question is ' Can i get the impinged pad removed via arthroscopic surgery because the pain is unbearable ?'
Symptoms:  Pain in front of the knee when I try to straighten my leg, sit with my leg bent for a prolonged period, buckling of the knee while walking, pain while walking and limping if i attempt any form of physical exercise. The pain is always in front of the knee only.