Father, Smoker, Coughing more than normal

Q: Possibly a cold, or an allergy?

My father recently came down ill. While he is a smoker, he is not currently diagnosed with COPD or any respiratory illness. I mention this because, while he does cough every so often, for the last few days he has been coughing non-stop. His body is achy (so I suspected a cold) but I have absolutely no symptoms, and I live with my father, after several days. I began suspecting allergies afterward, simply because his symptoms came the same day our first snow storm arrived.

He has an appointment Wednesday, but he's clearly suffering from all the coughing, and Dayquil cough isn't giving any relief at all. I'm personally freaking out because my mother just passed away two weeks ago (from complications relating to COPD and heart failure) but before her passing, she developed a bad cough.

I don't think we have a mold issue in the house. I don't know what's going on. I realize with such limited information, you can only speculate, but am I looking in the right direction? Besides those mentioned, he has no change in habits. He eats fine. No known food allergies. Diet is the same. Nothing else out of the normal besides the sudden onset of a severe chronic cough that is out-of-the-norm, even for a man who smokes.

He's in his very late 50's. below average height. overweight, but not obese. Smokes regularly. No exercise. Previous heart patient. Two former heart attacks. No other major medical history.