Feeling Pressure while urinating small amounts during nineteenth week in pregnancy

Patient

Q: I am 18 years old and about 19 weeks pregnant with my first child. Iv been getting up from bed for.about 2 hours because I have a strong urge to urinate. It feels is I have been holding it for a long time although I haven't been. When I go to the bathroom, only a small amount of urine is produced and towards the end of urinating I feel pressure near my pubic bone and below. It does not burn or is too painful but it is uncomfortable and frustrating. What is going on with me?

Doctor

A:   I do understand your concern. However, your symptoms of increased urgency to urinate is very common in pregnancy due to the growing uterus putting pressure on the bladder. You do not need to be overtly concerned unless you develop burning sensation during urination or develop a fever. I would advise that you take plenty of water to minimize the risk of a urinary tract infection /cystitis which is common during pregnancy.