Feelings of emptiness and loss of emotions. Is this depression?

Patient

Q: Before I met my girlfriend, she had some pretty emotionally traumatic events in her life. From time-to-time, she has periods of "emptiness" as she calls it, where she just doesn't feel anything. She describes it as if her soul has left her body and she is simply a robot going through the motions. She doesn't feel happy or sad, or even any emotions for family and friends.

Usually this only lasts for a single day, sometimes two. But she has told me it's lasted up to 2 weeks before. 3 days ago, it happened again but she says it feels different this time and she thinks it won't go away this time.

Is this depression or could it be something else? What should be done for her? I'm afraid she won't go to seek medical help.

Symptoms:  - Emptiness. This is the biggest thing. She goes through the motions of the day without feeling anything. When she's alone, she just sits on the edge of her bed and stares into nothingness.

- Loss of emotions. Even towards family, friends, and other loved ones. She can't feel that she loves or cares about anybody or anything.

- Crying. Usually this is not part of her empty spells, but this time she has been crying every night for hours on end. But she doesn't know why, because she still says she can't feel anything.

- She told me she has "lost her mind" and she is afraid she won't be able to get it back. She is afraid that she will have to start over with any friendships and relationships she has built up, including ours.
Doctor