Female Contraception Query

Q: Hi,

I am using Femilon. After taking pills of 21 complete days, my doctor had advised me to start the new pack after waiting of 7 days. in this 7 days, I will get my withdrawl bleeding. I want to know, in these 7 days, does my husband will have to use extra precaution (condom) or can we have unprotected sex??

Guest: I asked my gynecologist this question. Even for the 7 days that you are not on the pill, you can have sex without any other form of contraception. The bleeding you have is called a withdrawal bleed, there's no egg being released so there's nothing to fertilize.