Ask The Doctor > Pending > Female hairloss at the beginning of puberty. Age 13-14.

Female hairloss at the beginning of puberty. Age 13-14.

Patient: Can hormonal imbalances at the beginning of puberty, 13 year old girl, cause significant hair loss? If so is temporary?

Symptoms: About a year and a half ago at the beginning of puberty I noticed significant hair shed. I didn’t pay any mind to it until a few months later when large amounts of my scalp was visible. The doctors were unsure and determined the cause was a combination of stress, hormonal imbalance, and ill treatment of my hair. The blood tests revealed nothing that could potentially cause sudden hair loss. Hair now shows signs of improvement such as a dramatic decrease in hair shedding, and hair seems overall stronger. Certain areas have new hair growth but MAJOR areas such as the front of my hair line and by my ears my scalp is visible (especially in the sunlight). I was told by family members it will probably not all grow back, and I wanted to know if that was true? I was also curious whether you were able to determined what caused it in the first place? Also what foods can specifically target and create a base for healthy hair? Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Doctor: